Safety Tips from Cordova Electric Cooperative
In the Home
- When your power goes out, call CEC at 424-5555. If it is after hours, call our emergency outage line at 424-5500.
- Before you dig on your property, call CEC. We’ll locate any underground power lines.
- DO NOT touch a fallen power line. Call Cordova Electric for assistance.
- Electrical lines and power meters can be lethal. Do not tamper with any line or meter.
- It is illegal to hang signs or posters from utility poles.
- Trim trees on your property to keep branches out of power lines.
- Prepare an emergency kit that includes a flash light, batteries, candles, and a battery operated radio.
- Keep electrical cords away from sinks and bathtubs.
- Teach your children to stay away from electrical outlets.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
Portable Electric Generators
Generators should be installed by a licensed electrician. Electricity produced by a portable generator can cause serious injury if connected directly into a breaker panel or fuse box. If you use a portable generator during an electrical outage, use extension cords to plug electrical devices into the generator.
Energy Efficiency Tips
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Use dishwashers for full loads only
- Install motion detectors that automatically turn off lights.
- Defrost your freezer when the ice is 1/4″ thick.
- Turn down the thermostat 6 degrees to reduce your bill by 20%.
- Take showers; they use half as much energy as baths.
- Close drapes during winter nights to conserve heat.
- Shorten cooking time by thawing frozen food.
- Vacuum coils on freezers and refrigerators monthly.
- Keep freezers full to maintain temperature.
- Do not overfill refrigerators.
For more information on safe and efficient use of our energy resorces, pick up a copy of “Meeting Cordova’s Energy Needs”, available at the CEC business office. Or try the Together We Save energy page for no-cost and low-cost tips for saving even more.